Gourmoo Audition: Spooky Shepards Pie
This is a fun and delicious recipe that everyone will love! It's easy to make and kids love to help make the mashed potato ghosts! You can add fresh or frozen veggies. Mix it up and add baby corn, asparagus, edamame, anything you want!
- 1 lb ground pork, crumbled
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp worcestershire
- 6 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 12 ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 8oz pkg of baby bella or white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup low fat Lactaid milk
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt/pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- 1 cup shredded mixed cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring pot of water to boil.
- Add chopped potatoes to water and boil until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a skillet heated to med and mix in onions and mushrooms, cook until caramelized about 10 minutes.
- Spray another skillet with cooking spray and add crumbled ground pork. Mix in salt, pepper, garlic, and 2 tbsp worcestershire. Cook over medium until no longer pink. Drain and remove from heat.
- Heat frozen vegetables in a small covered pot with simmering water and cook according to package.
- To make gravy: melt 3 tbsp butter then whisk in 3 tbsp flour. Add 2 tbsp worcestershire and 2 cups beef stock. Season with salt and pepper and let simmer until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and put in large mixer bowl, add Lactaid and 3 tbsp butter and mix until creamy.
- To assemble: Using a 9X13 (or similar) baking dish, add vegetables (reserve approx 14 peas or corn pieces from your veggies), mushroom onion mix, gravy, and ground pork. Mix together and spread out.
- Spoon mashed potatoes into a freezer bag, snip off the tip of the bottom corner of bag and use as a piping bag. Pipe small mounds (ghosts!) on top of pie mixture. You should be able to make at least 6 mashed potato ghosts. Stick two peas or corn in the front of each ghosts as eyes.
- Sprinkle the dish with (lactose free if you would like) shredded cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes at 375 degrees.