My hardworking Army EOD husband was promoted this week and for the ceremony I decided to make Camo Frosted Brownie Cupcakes for my husband and all his fellow EOD soldiers. These guys like food, especially sweets, so I thought these fun cupcakes would be a much appreciated treat for them.
Congrats to my sweetie, SPC Hood! I am so very proud of you!
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, cubed and at room temp
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add your wet ingredients to the bowl: egg, butter, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Beat until fluffy.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill each liner half way.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let cool completely, then frost.
Camo Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks of butter, softened and cubed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp of milk
- green food coloring
- approx 1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 pastry bags with 1 decorative tip
- Using a hand or stand mixer beat butter on low until it is broken into pieces, about 15 seconds.
- Slowly add powdered sugar to the bowl, about a cup at a time.
- Once all sugar in added mix the frosting on a higher speed for a minute or two until until the frosting is whipped and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and milk and whip for another minute. Taste and if you would like it creamier add another tbsp of milk.
- Separate frosting evenly into 2 bowls.
- Add a couple drops of green food coloring and about 1/2 tsp of cocoa to one batch. Mix together and add more food coloring if needed until you have an Army green color.
- For the next frosting add cocoa powder (start with 1 tbsp) until it is a darker brown color.
- Add both frostings to two pastry bags, then take both bags and place in a larger pastry bag with a star tip in it.
- Pipe on top of cupcakes and it will come out swirled camouflage frosting on top. Enjoy!
The two main ingredients in these cupcakes: cocoa and sour cream.
They make these cupcakes rich and brownie like!
My friend Molly gave me these camo cupcake liners for Christmas.
This was the perfect time to use them!
Mix dry ingredients first, then add wet ingredients.
The batter will be thick and brownie like.
Hot out of the oven, with a crispy brownie like top!
I found these great disposable pastry bags, still sealed, for 25 cents at a yard sale!
Don't melt the butter or your frosting will not whip and become fluffy, it will be greasy. If you want to speed up the softening you can microwave it for 5 second intervals, flipping in between.
Creamy, sweet buttercream frosting!
Cocoa powder makes the buttercream the perfect camo brown!
Mix green food coloring and cocoa until you get the Army green color.
Here's an easy way to fill a pastry bag: place bag in a cup and fold over half way. Then just spoon in frosting, twist the top and push frosting down to the tip. No mess and you are ready to frost!
Camo Frosted Brownie Cupcakes
Perfect for the hungry guys!
My two sweeties: Ava and Ashton! She was all decked out for her Daddy's promotion in her Army hat and EOD onesie! You can order this adorable camo hat on Etsy here: KaseyCreations
Pin It Now!