Some of my favorite summer memories are picking berries in Baker, FL with my parents. Strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries grow like weeds in this area and we would fill buckets full of whatever sweet berry was in season. I even spent a birthday here as a teen. After a day of canoeing my parents brought my friends and I to Baker for berry picking and we had a blast!
This cobbler is one of my favorite dishes to make with the fresh picked berries (along with blueberry pancakes on Sunday morning!).
- 3 cups blueberries, rinsed
- 3 cups blackberries, rinsed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick or 8 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl gently mix together cleaned berries, cornstarch, lemon juice, salt, and sugar.
- Spread berries into a 8X8 baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl cream together softened butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add all remaining ingredients for the crumble topping to the bowl.
- Use your fingers to blend together the ingredients to make a crumble.
- Sprinkle topping over berries and bake for 60 minutes until brown and bubbly.
- Serve warm with ice cream for a sweet summer dessert!
Triple J Farms is one of the most popular blueberry farms while Akers of Strawberries is a fun stop for garden veggies, homemade ice cream, and, you guessed it, strawberry pickin'!
A bucket full of berries with my Gma and Mom.
My Gma loved going to the farms with us and would pick twice as much as me!
Dad got a bucket full too!
Bushes full of blackberries.
The best way to store blueberries: do not wash until ready to eat.
Simply spread out on a baking sheet and freeze
then add to a large freezer bag and lay flat in the freezer.
The perfect bubbly cobbler filled with fresh picked berries!
What a great way to start summer!Pin It Now!