It’s Pi(e) Day and y’all know I couldn’t pass sup a chance to bake up another favorite pie for dessert!
This Kentucky Derby Pie is heaven in a pie shell I kid you not! This is inspired by my Kentucky family and my memories as a kiddo visiting them in my frilly dresses and big hats and going to the horse races.
.The Kentucky Derby Pie is a decadent pecan and chocolate pie that is to die for! It was created at the Melrose Inn in Prospect, Kentucky and is still popular today all over the South!
Kentucky Derby Pie
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp bourbon optional
- 1 prepared pie crust unbaked
- ice cream. for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Defrost a premade pie shell or press pie dough into a 8 or 9 inch pie plate. Place on a baking sheet.
- Mix all pie ingredients together in a bowl except pecans and chocolate. Stir well.
- Add chopped pecans and chocolate chips and mix.
- Pour into the pie shell.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until set.
- Let cool then slice and sever with a scoop of ice cream.
Defrost a premade pie shell or press pie dough into a 8 or 9 inch pie plate.
Place on a baking sheet.
I like to measure out all my ingredients before baking.
Saves time and makes sure you don’t forget anything!
Farm fresh eggs are the best. I use mine at room temp for baking.
I prefer semi sweet chocolate over milk.
I also use chopped pecans instead of pecan halves because it makes the pie easier to cut.
I love baking with brown sugar.
So for this recipe I added half white and half brown sugar.
Mix all pie ingredients together in a bowl except pecans and chocolate.
Add chopped pecans and chocolate chips and mix.
Pour into the pie shell.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes until set.
More Pie Day Recipes
- 4 ingredient Lemon Ice Box Pie by Creative Southern Home
- Brownie Pie by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Pie by Savory Moments
- Grapefruit Pie by Kate’s Recipe Box
- Kentucky Pie by For the Love of Food
- Key Lime Pie by Simply Inspired Meals
- Lucky Lemon Pie by The Spiffy Cookie
- Mexican Chicken Pie by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Mini Sheperd’s Pies by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Mushroom Galette by Caroline’s Cooking
- Rhubarb Berry Pie by The Redhead Baker
- Sky High S’mores Pie by Food Above Gold
- Spaghetti Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Tourtière Landaise (Apple and Armagnac Phyllo Pie) by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Virginia Pecan Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
- Zesty Tomato Pie by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings