Happy Superbowl Sunday!
My uncle first made this recipe a few years ago for me and now I love it. I’ve tweaked the recipe some and now I created my Manly Man Marsala Mushrooms! This is my favorite game day appetizer. These mushrooms are big and meaty and full of creamy deliciousness! Who wouldn’t want to nosh on these while watching the game with the guys?!
- 1 pkg large white mushrooms (about 10-12)
- 1/2 pound crumbled Italian sausage
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 8 tablespoons Marsala Wine
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 ounces Philadelphia Italian Herb Cooking Creme (or substitute 4 ounces cubed Philadelphia Cream Cheese and 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning )
- 1 salt/pepper to taste
- parsley to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems (set aside).
- Put mushroom caps in a large bowl and top with 3 tbs. olive oil and 4 tbs Marsala wine and let soak.
- Chop mushroom stems.
- Cook sausage in skillet until cooked through. Drain.
- Add garlic, mushroom stems, onion, and 1 tbs. olive oil to skillet and cook until onions are softened.
sausage back to skillet with onion mixture, add Worcestershire and then
add Cooking Creme (or cream cheese) and mix together until cheese is melted.
- Empty mixture into a bowl and stir in panko bread crumbs.
- Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- Remove mushroom caps from bowl and stuff each with a heaping spoonful of sausage mixture.
- Add melted butter and 4 tbs Marsala to the baking dish and then add the stuffed mushroom caps.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden on top.
- Optional: Ladle sauce from baking dish on top before serving.
- Garnish with parsley.
Clean mushrooms, remove the stems, and marinate with 3 tbsp olive oil and 4 tbsp Marsala wine.
Reserve the stems and chop.
Cook crumbled sausage until browned. Drain.
Dice a 1/2 of a sweet yellow onion.
Add olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, and onions and cook until softened then add sausage back to the skillet and Worcestershire.
Now time to add the cheese! I love Philadelphia Cooking Creme and this variety, Italian Herb has Italian seasonings, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese. YUM!
Mix in a bowl with panko bread crumbs.
Time to stuff the mushrooms! Pile them high with the stuffing. Add remaining Marsala and melted butter to the baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden.
Before serving I like to ladle some of the juice from the pan over the mushrooms. Garnish with parsley.
Even the manliest of men love these mushrooms! Happy game day!
Throwback: Here’s my original cooking video for this recipe!