My girl is becoming quite the little chef and her go to cheese- brie- has now become her signature appetizer for special occasions. So this year for Thanksgiving she decided to make a twist on my popular baked brie appetizer: Cranberry Pecan Brie Baked in a Bread Bowl. It turned out better than we imagined and was a big hit with our foodie family!
Scroll down for the recipe and enjoy this tasty Ava creation!
Cranberry Pecan Brie Baked in a Bread Bowl
- 1 bread bowl
- 1 10 oz circle of brie
- 1/2 cup orange cranberry spread I used Trader Joe's Maple Cranberry Orange Spread, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans divided
- 2 tbsp butter melted⠀
- honey for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut out a hole in the center of your bread bowl that will fit the brie. Remove bread from the top and scoop out inside.
- Spread 1/4 cup cranberry spread and 1/4 cup chopped pecans in the center of the bread.
- Cut 1 inch slices around the edge of the bread to create tabs (do not cut to the bottom of the bread).⠀
- Score your brie (cutting lines horizontal and vertical across) and place in the bread.
- Top with remaining cranberry spread and chopped pecans.
- Place in a baking dish and brush the bread with melted butter.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Drizzle with honey and serve warm.
Ava made quite the spread for Thanksgiving this year!
Her baked brie appetizer was the star and will for sure be requested every year from now on!
Start with a round of brie cheese.
Do not remove the edible rind, it holds the cheese together when it melts.
Score your brie (cutting lines horizontal and vertical across) and set aside.
This was a good knife skills activity for Ava.
You want to score the top but do not cut all the way through.
I picked up a fresh baked bread bowl from our local bakery.
Cut out a hole in the center of your bread bowl that will fit the brie. Remove bread from the top (you can cut it up for dipping) and scoop out inside.
Cut 1 inch slices around the edge of the bread to create tabs (do not cut to the bottom of the bread).⠀
This seasonal find from Trader Joe’s was the perfect jam to go in the brie!
If you cannot find it any fruit spread works but I love the flavors of cranberry and orange for the holidays.
Spread 1/4 cup cranberry spread in the center of the bread.
Then add 1/4 cup chopped pecans.
Place the brie in the bread next.
Top with remaining cranberry spread and chopped pecans.
Place in a baking dish and brush the bread with melted butter.
Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Drizzle with honey and serve warm.
Remove cut bread on the side and dip.
I also like to serve with sliced apples and pears for dipping.
Serve this appetizer at your next holiday meal and your guests will be begging for more!