Eggs and avocados are two of my favorite things. So I thought why not cook an egg in an avocado?! I broil them so it only takes a few minutes and season simply with cheese and salt and pepper. Simple and delicious, this has quickly become a favorite breakfast dish in our home!
Want to try avocado for dinner too? Check out my recipe here.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 large ripe Haas avocados
- 4 medium to large eggs
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese, I like Cheddar cheeses
- 1/4 cup grated seasoned Parmesan (or try seasoned breadcrumbs instead)
- sea salt/cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Slice avocados open, leaving in shell, remove pit, and make slices/scores all over the avocado so it cooks evenly.
- Place on a plate and scoop out some of the flash to make the opening larger.
- Crack an egg into each avocado half, letting excess egg white run off onto plate.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add grated seasoned Parmesan (or breadcrumbs), and a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet, side by side touching (so the halves support each other and the egg does not fall out).
- Place in the broiler and cook until golden on top. Three minutes (for an over easy egg) or up to 5 minutes or so (for a cooked yolk).
- Serve with fruit and toast (and a side of bacon if it’s not Meatless Monday!).
Only a few simple ingredients make this great tasting breakfast! I use the largest Haas avocados I can find.
I have tried many different ingredients inside the avocado but I like egg, salt and pepper, grated seasoned Parmesan, and a sprinkling of shredded Parmesan. Simple and delicious!
Make score marks across the inside of the avocado halves so it cooks faster and evenly.
Crack an egg into each avocado halve, letting excess white run off before placing on baking sheet.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add grated seasoned Parmesan (or breadcrumbs).
Next add shredded cheese and place on a baking sheet. Broil for 3-5 minutes until melted and golden.
I have also tried these avocados with shredded cheddar and breadcrumbs and a side of bacon (not on Meatless Monday of course).
Thanks for sharing these important breakfast ideas
healthy breakfast ideas