In honor of the first day of school I am sharing this kid approved recipe for Lunch Lady Meatloaf Muffins. These “muffins” are filled with cheese and BBQ sauce and topped with mashed potatoes. I bet the Lunch Lady would love them too!
It seems like just days ago my baby started preschool here in Texas. Now she is an official kindergartner. Time seriously flies y’all and I am trying not to cry all day long!
My back to school gift for Ava: matching purple Mother Daughter Bracelets with a poem from TheFreckledFoxx on Etsy. Check out her shop for beautiful gift ideas.
We had a wonderful Mommy/ Daughter Day before Ava started school.
Lunch, manicures, shopping, and lots of fun with my girl!
Packing her backpack and getting ready for her first day.
Oh my heart! She looks so grown in her uniform! I love it.
Lunch Lady Meatloaf Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef or pork
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 yellow onion grated
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt/white pepper to taste
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- bacon diced for topping
- green onions diced for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl combine beef, eggs, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup bbq sauce, 1/2 cup cheese, onion, and salt and pepper.
- Using hands, combine well.
- Fill each well of muffin tin to top with the meat mixture, pressing down.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Top with remaining bbq sauce and shredded cheese on each muffin.
- Bake for an additional two minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before removing from pan.
- Top with piped or a scoop of mashed potatoes on each.
- Garnish with bacon and green onion "sprinkles".
I used good quality ground beef, around 90% fat, for this meatloaf recipe.
You can also use ground pork.
My hands down best ingredient for all meatloaf and meatballs: grated onion.
I grate between 1/2 to 1 whole yellow onion and add the pulp and juice to my meat mixture. It makes for a very flavorful and moist meatloaf.
In a large bowl combine beef, eggs, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup bbq sauce, 1/2 cup cheese, onion, salt and pepper.
Using hands, combine well.
Fill each well of muffin tin to top with the meat mixture, pressing down.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until browned and cooked through.
Top with remaining bbq sauce and shredded cheese on each muffin.
Bake for an additional two minutes.
Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before removing from pan.
Top with piped or a scoop of mashed potatoes on each. .
Garnish with bacon and green onion “sprinkles”.
These tasty Meatloaf Muffins are Lunch Lady approved! Enjoy!