- 1 lb dried red beans, like Camellia brand
- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp (or to taste) Creole seasoning, like Tony Cachere's
- 32oz chicken or vegetable broth (or more depending on the size of your Crock-pot)
- 1-2 links smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 pkg diced pork tasso ham or 1 ham hock, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooked white rice, for serving
- green onions, for garnish
- Soak dried beans in a bowl filled with water overnight.
- Drain and rinse well in the morning
- Add drained beans to a Crock-pot.
- Add chopped onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely diced and blended.
- Add vegetable mix to Crock-pot.
- You can now add meat (optional) of your choice to the Crock-pot: a ham hock or ham bone or chopped ham (I used pork tasso).
- Cover beans with broth (or hot water).
- Finally, add seasonings. I use Creole seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hrs.
- Add sliced sausage and mix in. Cook on low an additional 1-2 hrs.
- Serve in a bowl on top of hot white rice and garnish with green onions.
Drain and rinse well in the morning.