- 3 lb bag of red potatoes
- 1/2 a package of bacon (approx 6-8 slices of bacon)
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- olive oil, to taste (approx 1-3 tbsp)
- salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Cut potatoes into 4th or 8ths depending on their size. You want them to be bite size.
- Place potatoes in a large pot filled with salted cold water and bring to a boil over med high heat.
- Boil until a fork can pierce the potatoes easily, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and add to a large bowl.
- While the potatoes cook, cook bacon until crisp. Reserve 1 tbsp on bacon fat in pan.
- Drain and chop bacon.
- Add diced onion to the warm bacon fat in the pan (I like to use a cast iron) and cook over medium until softened.
- Add bacon and cooked onions to the potatoes in the bowl and toss.
- Finally sprinkle with green onions, blue cheese, salt and pepper, and olive oil (start with one tablespoon and add more if needed) and gently mix.
- Delicious served warm or room temp. Perfect for picnics, parties, and potlucks!
Quarter small red potatoes then place in a pot filled with salted water.
Bring to a boil and cook until done. A good way to check doneness? Pierce with a fork.
If the fork goes in easily, they are done!
A cast iron skillet is our preferred choice for searing and cooking items until crisp such as bacon, onions, and potatoes! Once you are done cooking the bacon keep about 1 tbsp bacon fat in the skillet to cook the onions in. This gives them delicious flavor and softens them without making them too greasy.
Dice a sweet Vidalia onion and cook until softened with some reserved bacon grease.
Toss the warm quartered potatoes with the sauteed onions, crisp bacon, blue cheese, and green onions.
Finally add olive oil to taste. I start with 1 tbsp and mix then add more if needed.
Season to taste with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
Warm Potato Onion Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese!