Today is my husband’s birthday and I thought what better drink to make him than a Dark and Stormy, which is a combo of two of his favorites: Ginger Beer and Rum. But to mix it up a bit I decided to make a Louisiana Cajun version, in honor of the state we live in. I substituted Cajun Spiced Rum and instead of the traditional lime garnish I used a spicy pickled okra. Oh, and if that wasn’t enough Cajun for ya, I rimmed the cup in Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning.
As Ashton said, “This drink is intense!” but it was a hit with the birthday boy and I hope you’ll give it a try too!
How cool is this copper mug from Reed’s?
I gave this to Ashton as a Valentine’s Day present and it’s now one of his signature drink cups!
Only a few ingredients make up this Cajun inspired drink- including Reed’s Ginger Brew, Cajun Rum, and a spicy rim and garnish.
Makes two drinks
- 12 oz bottle Reed’s Ginger Beer
- 4 oz Cajun Spiced Rum
- 2 spicy pickled okra, as garnish
- Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning, for rimming glass
- Dab water or juice from the pickled okra garnish around rim of 2 glasses.
- Pour Creole seasoning onto a plate and dip the cups rim in the seasoning to rim both glasses.
- Fill cups with ice.
- Pour in rum then add ginger beer to the top.
- My husband likes to stir with the pickled okra then make a cut in the side and put it on the side of the glass as a spicy garnish.
- Drink up (or sip!) and enjoy! Be careful- it’s intense!
Start by wetting the rim of the glasses and dipping them in Creole seasoning.
Now fill with ice cubes.
Pour in 2 ounces of rum.
And top with 1/2 a bottle of ginger beer.
Stir and garnish with a pickled okra.
Ashton taking his first sip….it’s definitely not for the faint-hearted!
This drink has a Cajun kick!
The Cajun Storm would make a fun party drink- but be warned it’s not for sissies!
Be sure to check out our giveaway with Reed’s Ginger Beer!