My Fall Beer Poached Shrimp and Pumpkin Grits recipe was featured on ourstate.com
and won the Lowes Foods’ Local Flavor Recipe Contest: Craft Beer edition. The recipe photo was published in a Lowes ad in the November 2015 issue of Our State magazine.
Fall Beer Poached Shrimp and Loaded Pumpkin Grits
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined (I use large size, about 20 shrimp)
- 20 oz Fall Beer I use Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale, a little more than 1 1/2 bottles
- 3/4 cup quick grits
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 4 slices cooked bacon about 1/2 cup drained and chopped (reserve bacon grease)
- 1/2 Vidalia onion sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- salt/cracked black pepper to taste
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in pumpkin, heavy cream, grits, and a 1/2 tsp or so of salt.
- Turn down heat to med low, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet add reserved bacon grease, about 1 tbsp, or you can use olive oil, and heat over medium.
- Add sliced onions and cook until softened.
- Add 2 oz of beer and steam onions until beer is absorbed. Then remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, add 18 oz of beer (1 1/2 bottles) and bring to a slow simmer over medium.
- Add shrimp, stirring occasionally, and poach in the beer until pink about 3-4 minutes. Remove immediately to a bowl.
- Add grits to a large bowl, top with bacon, onions, Parmesan cheese, and salt/pepper. Stir.
- Add grits to plate then top with half the shrimp and garnish with green onions and additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve with a side of sautéed spinach or kale.
Mix in bacon, onions, and Parmesan cheese to grits.
Season with salt and pepper.
Be sure to leave me a comment below. I’d love to hear how you liked this recipe!