Let me start off by saying my original idea, as you will read about below, was to use my favorite Lays *Limited Edition* Chicken and Waffles Chips in a chocolate chip cookie. The result was a maple spiced crunchy chocolate cookie straight from Heaven! Yes, they were that good. However, more than one reader asked me: “How in the heck did I put chicken and waffles in a cookie?!” Hahahahaha! Seriously ya’ll?!
So I have changed the name of the recipe and made it more simple (and easy to understand) for everyone.
Hope you enjoy this Chocolate Potato Chip Cookie recipe.
I have always been a fan of salty and sweet combos so when I saw Lays Chicken and Waffles Chips in my grocery store I was beyond excited! SAY WHAT?! I had to try these!
Turns our Lays had three flavors for their America’s Next Potato Chip Flavor Contest. Cheesy Garlic Bread and Sriracha were the other two. I tried all three but Chicken and Waffles was by far my favorite. It tasted mostly like a seasoned maple flavored potato chip and I could have seriously eaten a whole bag in one sitting! So after sampling a bag (or two…) of the Chicken and Waffle Chips I decided to use them in a cookie recipe I had been wanting to try.
And this is how I created the delicious cookies with the curious name:
Lays Chicken and Waffles Chocolate Chip Cookies
Photo credit: Lays Facebook
So :sniff, sniff: I found out today that my favorite chips lost the contest and the winner was Cheesy Garlic Bread (the creator won a cool $1 million dollars!). However, Lays is bringing all three flavors back to stores this summer for an encore so keep a look out for them. I know I am going to look like a crazy lady with a cart full of chips. I have to stock up, ya know!
Chocolate Potato Chip Cookies
Makes approx 30-36 large cookies
- 3/4 cups 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups Lays Chicken and Waffle crushed potato chips or any potato chip
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the butter and sugars together, using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium and beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low and mix in the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Gently stir in the potato chips and chocolate chips.
- Drop the cookie dough by tablespoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased or Silpat lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheets then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from www.countryliving.com