Let me start off by saying my original idea, as you will read about below, was to use my favorite Lays *Limited Edition* Chicken and Waffles Chips in a chocolate chip cookie. The result was a maple spiced crunchy chocolate cookie straight from Heaven! Yes, they were that good. However, more than one reader asked me: “How in the heck did I put chicken and waffles in a cookie?!” Hahahahaha! Seriously ya’ll?!
So I have changed the name of the recipe and made it more simple (and easy to understand) for everyone.
Hope you enjoy this Chocolate Potato Chip Cookie recipe.
I have always been a fan of salty and sweet combos so when I saw Lays Chicken and Waffles Chips in my grocery store I was beyond excited! SAY WHAT?! I had to try these!
Turns our Lays had three flavors for their America’s Next Potato Chip Flavor Contest. Cheesy Garlic Bread and Sriracha were the other two. I tried all three but Chicken and Waffles was by far my favorite. It tasted mostly like a seasoned maple flavored potato chip and I could have seriously eaten a whole bag in one sitting! So after sampling a bag (or two…) of the Chicken and Waffle Chips I decided to use them in a cookie recipe I had been wanting to try.
And this is how I created the delicious cookies with the curious name:
Lays Chicken and Waffles Chocolate Chip Cookies
Photo credit: Lays Facebook
So :sniff, sniff: I found out today that my favorite chips lost the contest and the winner was Cheesy Garlic Bread (the creator won a cool $1 million dollars!). However, Lays is bringing all three flavors back to stores this summer for an encore so keep a look out for them. I know I am going to look like a crazy lady with a cart full of chips. I have to stock up, ya know!
Chocolate Potato Chip Cookies
Makes approx 30-36 large cookies
- 3/4 cups 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups Lays Chicken and Waffle crushed potato chips or any potato chip
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the butter and sugars together, using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium and beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low and mix in the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Gently stir in the potato chips and chocolate chips.
- Drop the cookie dough by tablespoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, onto ungreased or Silpat lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes.
- Let cool on baking sheets then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Adapted from www.countryliving.com
Did you make this Recipe?Tag @flchefnicole or hashtag #fortheloveoffoodblog
Jerry | Simply Good Eating
Nicole, I totally envy you because you actually have access to those special Lays chip flavors. Unfortunately distributors for some reason do not have them for my area.
Those chocolate chip potato cookies sound interesting and Id love to make them but in the mean time, I'll probably just use what is available now 🙂 Thanks for sharing this!