|My delicious sushi birthday dinner. We ordered the “Love Boat”.|
then nibbled on potstickers, sushi, and carrots dipped in ginger dressing.
- 1 box of fluffy white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- black fondant (I found mine at Wal-Mart)
- 1 can white frosting
- shredded coconut
- assorted gummy candies (sour straws, fruit wedges, Swedish Fish, etc)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cake mix, a cup of water, and a cup of nonfat Greek yogurt in place of oil and eggs. This gives the cupcakes an Angel food-like texture.
- Pour into cupcake pans filled with cupcake liners.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into cakes comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool completely then unwrap all the cupcakes.
- Roll out your fondant and cut it into strips that fit around your cupcakes. You’ll probably need about 2 inches off of a fondant block.
- Wrap with a strip of fondant.
- Pipe a bit of frosting onto the top.
- Top with a sprinkling of coconut to give a rice-like effect to the frosting and top with chopped up gummy candy and gummy straws for the traditional sushi roll style.
- For a sashimi look, simply unwrap your cupcake, top with frosting and coconut, add a Swedish Fish and wrap with a small strip of fondant.
- Serve these tasty treats with chopsticks and try to eat just one!
Let cool completely then unwrap.
Fondant is pretty easy to find. I bought this tub from Wal-Mart.
Bonus: it’s Duff from Ace of Cake’s brand!
Cut about 2 inches off a black fondant block and roll out. Cut into strips to fit around bottom of some cupcakes and thin smalls trip to fit across the top of the rest of cupcakes. This is the “seaweed”.
I just use a pairing knife and cut the fondant to fit. This was my first time using fondant but it was surprisingly easy to work with and I could mold it to fit and stretch.
Pipe or spread frosting on top of cupcakes.
Top with a sprinkling of coconut. This is the sushi “rice”.
Now time to get creative!
Decorate the top of your “sushi” with Swedish fish and chopped up gummy candy and sour straws to look like sushi toppings. You can also use these Fruity-Fruitti gummies to look like roe on your sushi!
Serve with chopsticks and enjoy!