Today would have been the amazing Julia Child’s 100th Birthday!
So in honor of such a wonderful foodie role model I thought I’d feature one of my tastiest, most popular recipes (and it’s right up Julia’s alley!): Parmesan Creamed Spinach!
One of my favorite cookbooks, even though I must admit unlike Julia and Julia I have yet to get through even half of it!
At the Smithsonian museum in DC checking out the Julia exhibit.
Julia Child’s kitchen at the Smithsonian
Parmesan Creamed Spinach
Makes 4 servings. You can serve in individual ramekins or in a round (or heart like me!) oven proof casserole dish
- 2 tbsp butter
- 10 oz bag frozen chopped spinach thawed
- ½ Vidalia onion minced
- 1 ½ cups low fat or skim milk
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese plus 2 oz for topping
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp flour
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- Nonstick baking spray
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute onion with butter in a saucepan until caramelized.
- Add flour, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Lower heat, whisk in milk and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in spinach, cheese, and seasonings.
- Spray 4 6- 8 oz ramekins with nonstick spray and pour spinach into each.
- For parmesan crisp topping: Mix together 2 oz parmesan cheese, panko bread crumbs, and oilve oil in a bowl.
- Spread on top of each ramekin of spinach, thickly covering the top and pressing down.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly about 15-20 minutes.
I also have made this with Philadelphia Creamed Cheese (of course!).