My daughter, like my husband, is a big fan of tuna salad. Instead of the typical mayo-boiled egg version I decided to make her a veggie filled tuna salad for lunch this week. I cooked and steamed the veggies so they were all small toddler friendly sizes and easy to chew. But if you like crunch feel free to add them raw! I also chose to use veggie pasta in a mixed variety of bite size shapes.
This salad is colorful and flavor packed and was a hit with my future foodie Ava!
Try making it this spring for your kiddos lunch or a picnic or potluck!
- 1 small crown of broccoli, steamed and chopped into small florets
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup carrots, steamed and chopped
- 2-3oz can sliced black olives, drained
- 6.4oz package chunk light tuna in water, drained
- 12 oz cooked pasta, I like bite size varieties of veggie pasta
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1 tbsp. Mayo
- 1 tbsp. Parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt/pepper, to taste
- Additional grated Parmesan and chopped green onions, for garnish
*You can only use Greek yogurt and omit the sour cream and mayo in the dressing if you’d like but I enjoy the flavor of all three mixed together.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté onions and red peppers with olive oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine cooked veggies: steamed broccoli and carrots and sautéed onions and peppers.
- Mix in black olives then toss with drained pasta.
- Add 6.4oz package of drained tuna and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate while you make the dressing.
- For the dressing: mix together Greek Yogurt, mayo, and sour cream until smooth.
- Add 1 tbsp. Parmesan and 1 diced green onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove bowl from fridge and mix in dressing until creamy. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Garnish with additional chopped green onions and grated Parmesan right before serving.
Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. I love using colorful (and good for you!) veggie pasta in many of my recipes.
Steam a small crown of broccoli until tender, then remove the stem and chop the florets small.
Mix all cooked veggies together in a bowl then add sliced black olives.
Next mix in cooked and drained veggie pasta.
Use packaged tuna of your choice but I like the large packages of Chunk Light Tuna in water.
Add tuna to the bowl and mix well. Cover a refrigerate while you prepare the dressing.
For the dressing: mix together Greek yogurt, sour cream, and mayo in a small bowl.
Add 1 tbsp. Parmesan and 1 diced green onion. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix the dressing into the cold pasta salad and cover and refrigerate until serving.
I like to refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to let the flavors blend and the salad to get cool.
Top with extra grated parmesan and a couple tbsp. of diced green onions right before serving.
My little Ava kept trying to dip her graham cracker into the tuna salad while I was taking pictures. Little stink! Haha!
Perfect for a Spring picnic or potluck! Personally my favorite go to lunch for Ava and I! Healthy, delicious, and plenty for a crowd (or big eaters like my family!).