Ashton and I have decided to add more veggies (and less sugar and fried food) to our diet so we now try to eat salads for dinner 3-4 times a week.
At first I was bummed about this decision but I now enjoy coming up with clever salad combos. I have made seafood lettuce wraps and fun taco salads along with summertime pea salad and more traditional chicken cobb salad. But this time I decided to go way out of the box and use a favorite steak house combo of mine: roast beef and horseradish! I added spinach, hearty roasted veggies and crunchy onions and low and behold I had a delicious roast beef salad! I can’t wait to share my next salad night creation with you! Remember: salad night doesn’t have to be boring 🙂
Makes 2 large or 4 smaller entree salads
- 1/2 lb thin sliced roast beef, preferably rare
- 14.5 ounce can beef broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 6 baby bella/cremini mushrooms
- 1/3 red onion, sliced thin
- 4 small red potatoes, quartered
- bunch of asparagus
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1-2 tbsp fresh horseradish
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- olive oil
- sea salt/cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Chop and discard tough asparagus ends and quarter the potatoes.
- Toss on a baking sheet with olive oil and season heavily with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven until fork tender, about 20-25 minutes, tossing half way through.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream, horseradish, and white wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and add more horseradish if you want it spicier. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium.
- Slice mushrooms in half and add to skillet.
- Saute until browned and soft, adding more oil if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
- I prefer to leave my onions raw for crunch and a nice bite so I simply slice the onion thin.
- Heat broth over low in a saucepan.
- Add roast beef a minute or two before plating to warm and add some additional flavor.
- To plate add spinach to the bottom of the plate. Top with raw red onion slices. Place roasted asparagus and potatoes along the sides of the plate along with sauteed mushrooms. Add warm roast beef in the center. Spread the creamy dressing on top of the beef and serve!
I love roast veggies! Check out my roasting tips: here
Here I simply roasted asparagus and quartered red potatoes
tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper.
I’m a huge fan of horseradish sauce so I thought why not add it to a salad?
This dressing is thick and creamy and perfectly compliments the roast beef and veggies.
I cut the mushrooms in half so they keep their texture and size on the salad.
I usually use sweet yellow onion in most of my recipes but I decided to use raw red onion for this dish. It adds a nice crunch and a delicious “oniony” bite!
Warm the roast beef in beef broth over low. This also adds more flavor and makes it tender and juicy!
I make sure to buy good quality Angus Roast Beef that is thin cut and rare.
Plate the salad with spinach topped with onions. Then add veggies and roast beef.