This week I am featuring recipes from a Fall inspired cookbook from Gooseberry Patch called Hometown Harvest. It is filled with delicious recipes submitted by Gooseberry Patch readers. You can win your own copy of this fun cookbook by entering below!
Today’s recipe is a vegetarian soup perfect for Meatless Monday.
Pumpkin and Sweet Potato are the base of Skinny Pumpkin Soup along with sweet and savory spices like ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and garlic. I added sweet, crunchy homemade Cinnamon Sugar Croutons to my version of this soup for added flavor and texture. Not feeling like sweet croutons? Try tossing them with fresh herbs like sage instead!
Pumpkin Soup with Cinnamon Sugar Croutons
- 1 lb sweet potatoes halved lengthwise
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 shallots sliced
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz can pumpkin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tbsp honey
- pepper to taste
- Garnish: low fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp cinnamon sugar
- 2-3 slices bread
- Spray sweet potatoes on both sides with non stick vegetable spray.
- Place on a baking sheet, cut-side down and bake for 350 degrees for one hour or until fork tender.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out potato pulp and set aside, discard skins.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add shallots and garlic; saute until shallots are translucent and garlic is golden.
- Add sweet potatoes to mixture in Dutch oven, breaking up potatoes as you stir.
- Add broth; whisk to combine.
- Whisk in pumpkin, spices, and salt.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer uncovered over medium-low for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally to prevent scorching. Reduce heat to low.
- With a stick blender, or transferring soup to a blender, process soup until smooth.
- Stir in milk and honey; simmer over low heat for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with a dollop of sour cream and croutons.
For the croutons:
- Using a small cookie cutter, cut bread into soup croutons (I used a pumpkin shape cutter).
- Brush croutons with olive oil and dip in cinnamon sugar.
- Bake at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes, until croutons are golden.
Recipe from Gooseberry Patch Hometown Harvest Cookbook
Enter to win your own copy below!
Bake halved sweet potatoes then add to a deep pot with butter, shallots, and garlic.
Add broth, pumpkin, and spices and simmer for 15 minutes.
Blend soup until smooth.
Add 1/2 cup evaporated milk and 3 tbsp honey.
Quick and easy croutons:
Cut out shapes on sliced bread with a small cookie cutter (I used a pumpkin shaped cutter).
Brush with olive oil and dip in cinnamon sugar. Bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
Finally season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with sour cream and croutons.
Toasted sweet croutons add texture and extra flavor!
Enter to win a copy of this fantastic cookbook from Gooseberry Patch.