Thanks and Happy Cooking! -Nicole****
My husband is a huge fan of Biscuits and Gravy so when I got the idea for a Biscuit and Gravy Casserole from Pinterest I knew I had to create my version of the dish for Ashton. I used my cream cheese sausage gravy recipe and experimented with crescent and biscuit dough. The Pinterest recipe called for crescent roll dough on the bottom and top, however my husband and I both prefer flaky biscuits on top instead. So my version has a crescent bottom crust and a flaky butter biscuit top.
No matter how you top off this casserole it is peppery, creamy, and a Southern breakfast favorite!
Updated: If you prefer to make your own biscuits try my 7UP Biscuit Recipe!
|This recipe was my #1 most popular recipe in 2013! View the Top 10 here|
- 1 lb of Sage flavored sausage
- 1 sweet Vidalia (or large yellow) onion, diced
- 4 tbs flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened and cubed
- salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 package Pillsbury Crescent rolls
- 1 package Pillsbury Golden Layers Flaky Biscuitsor try my 7UP Biscuit Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a large, deep skillet cook crumbled sausage over medium heat until browned.
- Drain all grease except about 1 tsp. and add diced onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauce pot heat milk over medium low heat and whisk in flour.
- Cook and constantly stir for 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Then add cream cheese and stir until melted and well combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. I love me some pepper so I add lots of cracked black pepper!
- Pour sausage mixture into gravy and mix well.
- Grease a 9X13 baking dish, then spread out flat sheet of crescent roll.
- Pour sausage gravy onto the crescent sheet and spread to cover.
- Top with flaky biscuit dough, spaced evenly on top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes at 350 degrees until biscuits are golden brown on top.
Don't forget to grease the bottom of the baking dish and spread out the crescent rolls on the bottom of the dish. Don't separate the crescent dough!
Gotta love some Biscuits & Gravy - especially this easy version from @flchefnicole! #gottatryit bit.ly/12pK7UmPin It Now!
— Pillsbury (@Pillsbury) May 13, 2013