It’s become a tradition that for Christmas and special occasions I make homemade dog cookies for my friends and family who are blessed with pups. I started off using a boxed mix by Bark Bars then a couple years ago I started making the cookies from scratch. My dogs love to be the taste testers and Peanut Butter was the #1 flavor in my house! As with any homemade cookie, it is a little time consuming. But this recipe makes about 50 treats and it’s worth the time just to see the happiness on your pups face when he gobbles a homemade crunchy peanut butter cookie!
- 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and peanut butter and mix well.
- Next add oil and water until smooth.
- Cover bowl and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface to about ½ inch thick.
- Cut into desired shapes.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes. The cookies will be light brown and very hard!
- Let cool and serve or wrap up as gifts.
This recipe made about 50 of my small and medium sized cookies.
Over the years I’ve collected cookie cutters of all shapes and sizes.
I have about 10 dog themed cookie cutters that include a dog house,
a dog bone, a small heart, a fire hydrant, and different dog breeds
(including a beagle, of course!)
My favorite place to buy cooking cutters: Sur La Table cooking store!
Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Add eggs and peanut butter and mix well.
Next add oil and water until smooth.
Cover bowl and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
Prepare your counter to roll out dough with extra flour so it won’t stick.
Roll dough out onto a floured surface to about ½ inch thick.
Cut into desired shapes.
I love anything puppy themed!
Roll out scraps and continue to cut. You can make up to 50 cookies!
Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
The cookies will be light brown and very hard!
Let cool and serve or wrap up as gifts!
Dylan modeling his Christmas ribbon!
So excited for their treats!