Any true Southern girl loves her some good ol’ creamy Chicken and Dumplings! But until a couple months ago I unfortunately still didn’t have the perfect recipe. Sure I have tried tons of versions throughout my life but nothing was exactly what I was looking for. Then during my last month of pregnancy my friend Emma made me a batch of her amazing Chicken and Dumplings. It was so rich and creamy and unbelievably amazing. I was one happy pregnant lady! Thanks again Emma! Even better, Emma, a fellow new Mama, said this recipe was both fast and easy and cooked in just under 30 minutes. Since then I have made my version of this recipe numerous times and I am definitely hooked! It’s one of my go to dishes now, especially during the winter when it’s cold and dreary outside. Enjoy this comforting dish tonight!
(makes 6-8 servings)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can Grands flaky biscuits (8 ct)
- 2 32oz boxes of Chicken Broth (low sodium)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz frozen mix vegetables (optional)
- 1 tbs butter (optional)
- Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and 1 tsp garlic powder.
- Add chicken broth and chicken breasts to a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Poach on medium heat until chicken is cooked through about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chicken and shred with a fork or chop into cubes.
- Turn heat to low and add chicken back into the broth.
- Cut the biscuit dough into 8ths.
- In a small bowl mix flour with salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp garlic powder.
- Coat the dumpling pieces in the seasoned flour and drop into the simmering broth.
- Cook the dumplings and push down in broth until they are done, about 5-8 minutes.
- I like to add vegetables to my Chicken and Dumplings, so I cook half a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, then drain the water, add the butter and mix in to the Chicken and Dumplings.
* My husband on the other hand does not think Chicken and Dumplings should have veggies mixed in, so he eats his on the side. To each their own!
Season four chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and 1 tsp garlic powder.
Add chicken broth and chicken breasts to a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
Poach on medium heat until chicken is cooked through about 15-20 minutes.
Remove chicken and shred with a fork or chop into cubes.
Cut the biscuit dough into 8ths.
In a small bowl mix flour with salt, pepper, and 1 tbsp garlic powder.
Coat the dumpling pieces in the seasoned flour.
Drop into the simmering broth.
Cook frozen mixed vegetables on the side and add to your cooked
Chicken and Dumplings if you’d like.
Add the cooked, chopped chicken back to the pot.
Cook the dumplings and push down in broth until they are done, about 5-8 minutes.
Ladle into bowls and serve warm.