This Lucky Reuben Casserole is a recipe I have wanted to make for a long time. I figured “lucky” Friday the 13th and upcoming St Patrick’s Day was the perfect time to share!
Reuben sandwiches are my husband’s favorite, so this take on the classic Irish Pub sandwich turned into a layered Reuben Casserole, is his new favorite meal!
Lucky Layered Reuben Casserole
Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 lb deli sliced corned beef chopped
- 32 oz jar sauerkraut rinsed, drained, and squeezed (about 2 cups)
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup gherkin baby pickles chopped
- 1 1/2 cups rye bread crumbs I pulsed a few slices of Rye bread to get the bread crumb consistency
- 1 cup 1000 Island dressing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 dish with cooking spray.
- Build your casserole in layers.
- Start with a layer of drained sauerkraut (be sure to drain and pat dry).
- Sprinkle on chopped pickles.
- Add 4 slices of Swiss cheese.
- Then add chopped corned beef on top.
- Drizzle with 1000 Island dressing, spreading to cover.
- Add 4 more slices of Swiss cheese.
- Finally, sprinkle on bread crumbs. Optional: you can spray lightly with cooking spray to crisp up bread more.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
To make the bread crumbs I added a few chopped slices of Rye bread to a food processor and pulsed until it was the texture/size of bread crumbs.
Start with a greased 8×8 baking dish and spread out the drained sauerkraut.
It should be about 2 cups. Be sure to pat dry as much as possible.
You don’t want a soggy casserole!
Sprinkle on chopped pickles. I used chopped baby gherkin pickles.
Add 4 slices of Swiss cheese then top with chopped corned beef.
Drizzle with 1000 Island dressing, spreading to cover.
Top with remaining 4 slices of Swiss cheese.
Prepare rye breadcrumbs by pulsing chopped bread slices in a food processor until small crumbs.
Optional: you can spray lightly with cooking spray to crisp up bread more.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.
Cut into squares and serve warm.
This Layered Casserole is perfect for St Paddy’s week! Enjoy!