I learned how to cook from my wonderful foodie family, especially my Mama! One of my favorite things to do is to call her and brainstorm recipe ideas together.
She’s an amazing home cook and throughout the years she’s made some truly mouthwatering meals.
One of my favorite “Mama meals” (and there are so many) is her French Toast Casserole.
Come on folks, who doesn’t love buttery French Toast with a crunchy praline topping?!!
Baked French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf of French bread
- 8 eggs beaten
- 2 cups half & half
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Slice the French bread into 20 slices.
- Place the slices in a buttered 9X13 baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping slices.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half & half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Mix until blended but not too bubbly.
- Pour over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk/egg mixture.
- Spoon mixture between the slices too.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the dish from the refrigerator and remove foil.
- Mix all ingredients for praline topping in a bowl.
- Spread evenly over bread. Bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- Serve warm with maple syrup or honey.