Woohoo! I was lucky enough to be chosen to compete in the Saucy Mama Recipe Contest this year with a select group of my fellow food bloggers! You may remember when I competed a couple years back in the Saucy Mama 5 Ingredient Challenge. I had a blast then sampling their flavor packed sauces, dressings, and mustards and creating recipes to compliment them.
This year I am extra excited because they sent me a six pack of their popular new sauces to try including:
Today I am sharing my first contest recipe with you: Orange Habanero Grilled Salmon Kabobs featuring Saucy Mama Orange Habanero Wing Sauce. We are currently visiting my parents in Florida so I was excited to make this recipe with the Grill Master himself: my Dad! Scroll down for the recipe and then enter to WIN a Set of all 6 Saucy Mama Sauces mentioned above!
Makes 5-6 servings or 9-10 kabobs.
- 2lb thick filet of Salmon, skin removed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup Saucy Mama Orange Habanero Wing Sauce, separated
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into medium chunks
- 6 stalks thick green onions, cut into 3 inch sections
- 20 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for an hour
- oil, for spraying the grill or pan
- Place cubed salmon into a large freezer bag and pour in 1/2 cup of Saucy Mama Orange Habanero Wing Sauce. Seal and shake to coat.
- Marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- If you want to serve with any additional veggies on the side prep those now. I made asparagus, simple tossed with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper and cooked on a grill pan next to the kabobs.
- Remove your bamboo skewers from the water and dry off.
- Remove salmon from the marinade. Discard marinade.
- Using two skewers parallel to each other assemble kabobs using 3 pieces of salmon and 2 green onions and 2 red peppers in between each salmon. I end with a piece of onion or pepper on top to secure the salmon on the kabob. Make sure to use thick pieces of salmon and veggies and spear with both kabobs so they do not fall off on the grill!
- Place kabobs on an oiled grill over medium heat.
- Baste with additional 1/4 cup of Saucy Mama Orange Habanero Wing Sauce and cook approx 8 minutes. Turn, baste again, and cook until opaque and cooked through.
- Remove and serve immediately with grilled asparagus and jasmine rice.
Optional: you may want to grill on top of aluminum foil or use a grill pan so they don’t stick to the grates.
Isn’t this salmon absolutely gorgeous? Nothing better than fresh beautiful salmon for dinner!
Skin and cut the salmon into think cubes for skewering.
Prep all your veggies buy seeding and cutting into pieces for skewering with the salmon.
Marinate the salmon in a large freezer bag with 1/2 cup Saucy Mama Orange Habanero Sauce for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile go heat the grill and start some rice. I love serving this dish with fragrant jasmine rice.
I love just about anything grilled especially veggies. My grocery store had some bright green asparagus that were calling my name so I picked up a large bunch for dinner. Simply remove the tough ends then brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper. Place them on a grill pan and they are ready to go on the grill!
Time to assemble the kabobs! Big thanks to my helpful hubby
for making some beautiful kabobs for me!
Using two skewers parallel to each other assemble kabobs using 3 pieces of salmon and 2 green onions and 2 red peppers in between each salmon. I end with a piece of onion or pepper on top to secure the salmon on the kabob. Make sure to use thick pieces of salmon and veggies and spear with both kabobs so they do not fall off on the grill!
Place on an oiled grill (or a grill pan or aluminum foil if you are worried about sticking).
Pictured above is the Grill Master himself: my Dad!
Bring about 1/4 cup Orange Habanero Sauce with you along with a basting brush to brush over the kabobs.
Baste kabobs then grill over medium heat, covered, for about 8 minutes.
Flip then baste with remaining sauce and cook for another 8 minutes or until opaque and cooked through.
Dinner is served!
I loved that this sauce has a lingering heat but wasn’t overpowering.
It was the perfect compliment for the grilled fish and veggies.
Serve with Jasmine rice and grilled asparagus for a healthy, flavor packed meal.