I, like most Americans, love bacon. It is truly the main reason I can’t be a vegetarian! Bacon Jam is a popular new topping I am seeing at more and more restaurants lately so I thought…why not create my own? It only takes a few ingredients, namely bacon (duh!) and sweet onions then a sweetener like brown sugar and something liquid and savory like Balsamic. Since it is still Saucy Mama Recipe Contest Week I thought I would create a Bacon Jam using their Four Leaf Balsamic Vinaigrette. The end result? Bacon perfection.
- 1 lb thick cut bacon, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 cup Saucy Mama Four Leaf Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I prefer dark)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Add chopped bacon to a large heavy bottom pot and cook until crispy.
- Drain, reserving 1 tbsp bacon grease in pot, and remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add onions and garlic and cook over medium, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add bacon back to the pot with the cooked onions and then stir in brown sugar, Saucy Mama Balsamic Vinaigrette, and maple syrup.
- Stir until combined and then turn heat to low and cook for 30-40 minutes until thick and jam consistency, stirring occasionally.
- *You may have to drain excess bacon grease again from the jam at the end of cooking.
- Serve warm or room temp on burgers, topped on biscuits, eggs….really just about anything!
Along with the Saucy Mama Balsamic, use a 1lb package of thick cut good quality bacon along with brown sugar, 1/2 a sweet Vidalia onion, garlic, and maple syrup.
Add coarsely chopped bacon to a deep pot and cook until crispy.
Drain on a paper towel lined plate, reserving one tbsp bacon grease in the pot to cook the onions in.
Dice up 1/2 a large Vidalia onion and add to the pot.
Cook over medium with the garlic cloves until softened.
Add the bacon back to the pot.
Now add the brown sugar, maple syrup, and Saucy Mama Balsamic.
Stirring occasionally, cook over low for about 30 minutes or until thick and jam-like.
Drain off any additional bacon grease.
Serve warm or room temp and enjoy the bacony goodness!
This Bacon Jam is ah-mazing on just about anything!
Check out my Gourmet Steak Burger recipe!