I originally made this recipe as a special brunch for my Mom on Mother’s Day. I was on a cream cheese kick during the Real Women of Philadelphia cooking contest that I participated in two years in a row. Then as a member of the recipe sharing site Just a Pinch, they chose this recipe as a Blue Ribbon winner.
Red Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups waffle mix
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 bottle red food coloring approx 25 drops
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans lightly toasted
- Heat up waffle maker. Mix waffle mix and eggs, water, and oil according to pkg instructions.
- Add cocoa powder to waffle mix and blend.
- Add red food coloring slowly until you get the "red
- velvet" color you want. Cook waffles in waffle maker. This will make 5-6
- Belgian waffles or 10 regular waffles.
- With a mixer blend together cream cheese, powdered
- sugar, vanilla, and milk. Pour glaze into a saucepan and warm on
- med-low. Stir frequently.
- Serve Red Velvet Waffles with warm cream cheese
- glaze and toasted pecans on top and a side of fruit and bacon.