This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
What is more American than apple pie, right?
For the 4th of July holiday this year I decided to bake up a fresh apple pie but I was inspired by the book I just read and made a Blue Apple Pie instead!
I am hooked on Joanne Fluke’s fun Hannah Swensen murder mystery series (with recipes) and this recipe sounded too good to pass up!
I share a few other Joanne Fluke recipes on this blog including these amazing Double Fudge Brownies !
Scroll down for the recipe for my version of the Summertime Blue Apple Pie.
This patriotic crumble topped fruit pie is delicious served warm or cool with a scoop of ice cream on the side!
This recipe is from my favorite food themed murder mystery series by Joanne Fluke.
Welcome to this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. You’re going to be in for a treat this year because we have 28 blogs/bloggers creating summer themed dessert recipes all week! We’re sharing them with the hashtag #SummerDessertWeek on social media and you’ll find some of the links in this post as well. Plus, we also have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
She looks cute and innocent but she will sneak bites if sweets the minute you turn around!
Ava is always a great helper in the kitchen!
Today’s recipe sponsor is Dixie Crystals
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away 1 (one) 4.2 Quart (4 Liter) Electric Air Fryer
Prize #2 — Circulon is giving away a TOTAL BAKEWARE 6-Piece Nonstick Bakeware Set – Two 9-Inch Round Cake Pans, 9-Inch Square Cake Pan, 9-Inch x 5-Inch Loaf Pan, 9-Inch x 13-Inch Rectangular Cake Pan, 10-Inch x 15-Inch Cookie Pan
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 26th until July 31st at 11:59PMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 2 (two) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 2 (two) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals and Circulon. These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
Blue Apple Pie
For the pie:
- 1 frozen deep dish piecrust slightly thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2-3 cups Granny Smith apples peeled and sliced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 can blueberry pie filling
- 1/4 stick 1/8 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- whipped cream or ice cream for serving
For the crumble topping:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter cut into pieces.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- I roll out my piecrust and fit into my large 9 inch pie dish. You can also buy the frozen pie crust already in the tin.
- In a large bowl mix together sugar, flour, and spices.
- After you peel and slice your apples add them to a bowl and toss with lemon juice to keep from browning.
- Add the apples to the bowl of ingredients and toss to coat.
- Now add the blueberry pie filling and mix in.
- Spread filling into the pie shell.
- Add the pieces of cold butter on top of the filling.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet in case it overflows.
To make the crumble:
- Add flour, cut up butter , brown sugar, and cinnamon to a food processor.
- Blend until it is it mixed well and in small pieces.
- Sprinkle the crumble all over the top of the pie, patting on and covering as much as possible.
- You can cut a couple slits in the top of the pie for venting if you need to.
- Baked the pie until it is golden brown and the apples are tender, about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool before slicing.
- Serve with scoops of ice cream or whipped cream.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Strawberry Banana Sorbet from Big Bear’s Wife
Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizzas from Semi Homemade Recipes
Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Cookies from Eat Move Make
Ursula Blackberry Yogurt Mousse Cake from Simply Inspired Meals
Strawberry Upside Down Cake from It’s Shanaka
Margarita Bundt Cake from Fake Ginger
Air Fryer Blackberry Hand Pies from Blogghetti
Grape Jello Pie from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Lime Raspberry Hand Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Summertime Blue Apple Pie from For the Love of Food
Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Strawberry Peach Poke Cake from Our Good Life
S’mores Mug Cake from Family Around the Table
White Chocolate Peach Crumb Bars from Sweet Beginnings
Strawberry Pizzelles from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Hocus Pocus Buns from Savory Experiments
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream from Devour Dinner
Small Batch Emergency Air Fryer Brownies from Shockingly Delicious
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars from Books n’ Cooks
Strawberry Crunch Cheesecake from SugarYums
Crescent Roll Peach Dumplings from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Instant Pot Orange Dreamsicle Cheesecake from Baking up Memories
Rum Raisin Brownies from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Shortbread from Pastry Chef Online
Drumstick Cheesecake Cups from Sweet ReciPEAs
Sheet Pan No Bake Banana Split Cheesecake from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread from Comfortably Domestic
Baltimore Strawberry Pie from Cookaholic Wife