My Annie Chun Party last night was a hit! Here are two fun videos I made before the party with the help of my Mom & Grandma. Enjoy!
Like my videos? Follow me on YouTube. User name: Beagledogphotos
Seared Scallop Sushi
- 5 jumbo sea scallops
- 2/3 cup sushi rice (or save time and buy Annie Chun’s Microwaveable Sticky Rice)
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 2 ounces Philadelphia cream cheese
- 1 salt/pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix rice and water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and turn down and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take off heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Put cooked rice in a bowl.
- Mix sugar, salt, and rice vinegar and pour over sushi rice.
- Chop rice (do not mix) with a wooden spatula or spoon until the seasoning is mixed in.
- If possible use a hand fan to cool rice and chop until glossy and sticky (30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Next, mix the wasabi paste with the cream cheese in a small bowl. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Heat your cast iron (or heavy skillet) until smoking hot (about med high heat).
- Add olive oil to pan and swirl to spread evenly.
- Take the scallops out of the refrigerator and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sear scallops in the hot pan until they have a caramelized crust on each side (about 3 minutes per side).
- Wet hands and take a scoop of rice and spread in sushi press (if you don
- Press rice and then spread in sushi mat and roll tightly.
- After unrolling you should have a long “tube” of sticky rice.
- Using a sharp knife cut rice tube into 4 sushi rolls (shape with hands if needed).
- Place rolls on a separate plate. Then repeat with the shaping until you
- Spread wasabi cream cheese on top of each sushi roll.
- Slice each scallop in half and place caramelized side face up on top of each sushi roll.
- Serve with cucumber salad and miso soup for a healthy dinner for two!