Happy New Year!
We make a traditional lucky New Years meal every year including roasted cabbage. This year I made my Mama’s Hoppin John and this delicious Roasted Cabbage.
Tender cabbage is oven roasted with onions, carrots, butter, and spices to make a healthy and flavorful side dish.
These simple baked veggies go well with most meals.
Roasted Cabbage and Carrots
- 1 large head cabbage cut into wedges
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter cubed
- seasonings to taste I use garlic salt and cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange the cabbage wedges in a 9x13 baking dish or a baking sheet with raised sides.
- Add carrots and onions around the cabbage.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pan.
- Sprinkle the butter over the cabbage and season liberally.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes to brown slightly.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Adapted from Dinner at the Zoo blog.
Did you make this Recipe?Tag @flchefnicole or hashtag #fortheloveoffoodblog
Peel and slice cabbage, onions, and carrots.
Arrange the cabbage wedges in a baking dish.
Add carrots and onions around the cabbage.
Pour the chicken broth into the pan.
Sprinkle the butter over the cabbage and season liberally. I use garlic salt and cracked pepper.
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
Remove the aluminum foil and cook for an additional 15 minutes to brown slightly.
Can u make the cabbage and carrot dish with brockil swede parsnip in at same time
I think you can add any hearty chopped veggie. Parsnips are a great idea! Broccoli may not need as long to cook. Let me know how it turns out!
I made this because I had a leftover half head of cabbage after making coleslaw earlier in the week. I have determined that I don’t like cooked cabbage, no matter how it is made.