Believe it or not, I had never tried spaghetti squash before until I made this recipe! As y’all know I am a big fan of casseroles mainly because they make a lot and I love leftovers and also because they are usually simple to make! I found this recipe through one of my favorite blogs: SkinnyTaste. I have since made it a few times and changed it up a bit to my liking. It is a fantastic freezer meal and makes a rich and hearty vegetarian dinner!
Spaghetti Squash is tasty in casseroles but also on it’s own with some butter and cheese or as a “faux pasta” with marinara sauce!
Spaghetti Squash and Spinach Casserole
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups cooked spaghetti squash from about 1 large
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 yellow onion minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk or half & half
- 1 cup chicken broth or use vegetable broth
- 8 oz 2 cups Italian blend shredded cheese
- 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach cooked and drained (or 4 cups chopped fresh spinach)
- 2-4 tbsp grated parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- salt/ pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise; remove and discard seeds.
- Bake on a baking sheet until fork tender, about 1 hour.
- Separate the strands of squash with a fork and place in a medium bowl; discard shells.
- Maintain the oven temperature.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continually 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add milk and chicken broth, turn heat back to medium, and whisk until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick, about 2 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once it becomes thick, remove from heat, add Italian cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.
- Add cooked spaghetti squash and spinach.
- Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake until bubbly and golden 25 to 30 minutes.
Adapted from www.skinnytaste.com
Start with a large spaghetti squash and cut in half then scoop out seeds.
Place cut side up on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
Use a fork shred the squash (it looks just like spaghetti!). Discard the shell.
Place squash in a bowl until ready to mix into your casserole.
Melt butter in a saucepan over medium and add onions and garlic. Cook for a couple minutes.
Stir in flour. Reduce to low and stir for 3 minutes.
Whisk in 1 cup chicken broth and 2 cups milk, turning heat back to medium.
Whisk until it begins to boil and becomes smooth and thick.
Add salt and pepper to taste then remove from heat.
Add 2 cups cheese and mix well until cheese is melted.
Finally, stir in chopped spinach and spaghetti squash. Pour into a baking dish.
Top with grated parmesan cheese. As much as you would like. I use about 1/4 cup.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden and set.
Dinner is served!