Happy Meatless Monday! I was craving a stir fry the other night so I threw this together with the ingredients I had in the fridge. This was the first time I have ever made a stir fry without meat and I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious and filling it was! This was also the first time I made crispy tofu.
I have had it and loved it at restaurants but I finally attempted it at home and it came out perfect!
This dish was a home run all the way!
- 12-14oz pkg Firm or Extra Firm Tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3oz can baby corn (or approx 1/3 of a full size can), drained
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup, approx 5-6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup, approx 3 stalks, green onions, diced
- 3oz (1/2 pkg) oriental egg noodles (I use Chuka Soba brand), cooked and drained (reserve 1/2 cup pasta water)
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tbsp ginger (fresh or paste)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (I use Devo Oil Japanese Toasted Seasame Oil)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2-3 tbsp teriyaki sauce of your choice (I use Mr. Yoshida’s Sweet Teriyaki)
- Heat a non stick skillet over medium and add 1 tbsp canola oil.
- Press tofu with a few paper towels to make sure you have removed as much liquid as possible then add cubed tofu to the skillet.
- Brown on each side, approx 5 minutes each, then remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Using the same skillet over medium add 1 tbsp sesame oil and add all chopped veggies (except corn and green onions). Saute until softened but still crisp, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, and corn and cook for another 30 seconds. Mix well, adding more oil if necessary.
- Finally add teriyaki sauce, tofu, and cooked noodles (if they are stuck together mix with reserved pasta water to loosen, then drain, and add to skillet), tossing to coat and warm.
- Remove from heat, garnish with green onions, and serve.